Finding The Story Your Idea Deserves

6:00 AM

You know when you get an Idea?

And it's so cool. And you're super excited and you start getting all these amazing components to go along with it and it's going so well and your creativity is just seeping into the grains and going absolutely wild and THERE ARE SO MANY IDEAS and you are crazy pumped about the story?

But then you realize ... you have a bunch of super cool concepts, but you don't have a plot.

And then, not only do you realize you don't have a plot, but you realize ... you're kind of afraid to find one. And, instead of realizing this and going, "Pshhhh that's stupid" and shrugging it off and creating that epic story idea, you end up getting really stumped. And you want to hide from your story.

But you love the idea! But ... you also can't think of any more ideas to go with it. And you still don't have a plot. And you really want to write it--maybe even for nano--but you can't because you don't know what you're writing about.

Do you get what I'm saying?

I've had this happen to me before. This actually happened to me with my WIP, The Dream Walkers. Like, DREAMS?? DREAM WORLD?? DREAM GIVERS AND MARSHMALLOW CLOUDS AND OCEANS AND CLOUDS AND FLYING CHILDREN AND SUPER AESTHETIC SETTING AND JUST GENERAL AWESOMENESS??? How can I create a plot that matches the awesomeness of the setting?

I was afraid. I was afraid I would "waste" this idea that I KNEW was brilliant.

I was afraid I wouldn't give this idea the story it deserved.


Generally speaking, you begin a story because you're excited about the idea. If you're doing nano, it's probably a big deal the story you picked to work on next month. You've probably been brainstorming characters and creating a setting and pondering theme and searching for plot, if not for several months before now, at least some this month.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're pumped for it. And who wouldn't be? New story! New idea! Or idea-you've-had-for-ages-and-are-finally-getting-to-write idea! Excitement! Fun! YAY!

But eventually, you have to move past that state of ecstasy and infatuation. You have to face this unpleasant thing called reality. And the reality is that finding a spectacular plot for your concept is not easy. It's tough. 

Finding the right story idea can often feel like searching for water in a desert. You're slugging through the endless waves of sand, your entire body is sweating and you're gross and sticky and hot. You feel a rush of excitement as you see something sparkle in the distance, but as you run towards it, it stays just out of reach. And you realize it was just an illusion the whole time. A mirage.

And that's a risk we run in every story. Following the mirage first, before finding the real oasis.

What do we do then?

We edit. That's what editing is for.

But for now, let's look at some ways to find that plot in the first place.

Tip #1: Let your characters lead.

There's a reason I kicked off this mini series with a post on characters. They're really important because, when created and fully developed, they will drive your story. You'll be sitting there, agonizing over your plot when suddenly BANG. Your characters break down the door and charge, carrying your story with it. You snatch up your notebook and race after them, yelling after to hold on! wait! come back! you weren't done with that idea yet!


Tip #2: Be creative.

This seems like an obvious one (and it kind of is) but I'm serious. Think outside the box. Think about other books in your genre or books with similar components to yours, and try to create a plot that's polar opposite to them, or has hints of them to spice it up, or just to avoid their influence all together.

Sometimes, not going with your first idea is a good idea. I heard a piece of advice once that went something like, "Discard the first idea you get. And the second. And the third. Then, only when you surprise yourself, you can write that."

And that's a good thing to think about, especially if you're crafting plot twists.


Tip #3: Just do it.

To condense the long list of advice I have for you on this topic into three tips is quite a feat. But I think this encompasses everything.

You're not going to feel perfectly and fully confident in every scene you put into your story. You're going to have a little doubt, a little insecurity, a little unease.

That's normal.

And you've got to push through it. Just do it. Write the book. Pick and plot thread and write it if one won't come to you. Grab it with both hands and wrap a leash around it and make it work for you. Often, that's what it takes to get our stories up and running.

You've got to be a little bold. And it's scary and uncertain, but I know you can do it. <3

Do you struggle with creating a plot? What tips do you have for finding a great story for your idea?

<3

You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. You definitely found the perfect story for your DW idea! <3

    For me, plot and characters are intertwined. If I know my characters' goals, then there's bound to be conflict, and that is my plot right there. :) But I have struggled in the past with having ideas but no plot! I think that's why I wait so long before writing my ideas; they have to stand the test of time, slowly develop a plot in the back of the mind, before I feel I can do them justice. xD

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw <3 And you worded that process perfectly. I'm very similar!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Are you doing nano this year??

      Delete
  3. These posts are so helpful! I always struggle with plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they're helping you! And I agree. I think of the top story elements (character, plot, theme, setting) plot is the most difficult for me to get right.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your encouraging words! I have recently picked up my notebook again to start writing and I enjoyed this piece of advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Grace, that's so exciting! Are you writing short stories or novels or poems or other? I'm so happy you're writing again! <3

      Delete
  5. This is SO HELPFUL. I have a bunch of story ideas that I end up not using because I feel like my plots aren't good enough or anything-and your tips really help! =)

    Micaiah @ Notebooks and Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww nuu that's so tragic! Don't give up on your ideas! You'll find plots for them. They just need love and nurturing <3

      Delete
  6. As a pantser, I really found this post helpful! I tend to see how my characters interact and take plot ideas from there, but your advice to 'just do it' is something I need to take to heart as well. Thanks Hannah!
    Jem Jones

    ReplyDelete

Comments bring us happiness and warm fuzzies, so please share your thoughts! Stan and I want everyone to be welcome, so we ask that you be kind and courteous and use nice language.

Popular Posts